Picture placement above your sofa
Displaying pictures over your sofa is a lovely way to add personality to your living room and create a focal point. Below we offer tips on how to achieve the correct placement of your beloved treasures to help you get that professional look.
- To create balance, your artwork (or grouping) should be at least 2/3 the width of your sofa.
- Pictures should not be wider than the sofa or the artwork will overwhelm the furniture.
- As a general rule, the bottom of your frame should hang 6” to 10” above the back of the sofa.
- If you hang your artwork too high it will look like it’s floating away from the sofa instead of being connected to it.
- When hanging a grouping of pictures, leave 1” to 4” between each frame for proper spacing.
- Hanging frames too far apart will look disjointed, like you are trying to fill the wall instead of connecting each piece of art.
Tip – Use a spirit level to line up each art piece and keep them there with removable adhesive velcro especially made for walls or mounting putty (blue tac).