Nursery School – foyer re-design project
Welcome to Kylie.T. Interiors. I was recently approached by the PTO of my childs previous nursery school and asked to take a look at the foyer and plan a re-design! Below are the before shots:
As most schools the budget was reliant upon funds from the fundraising kitty so although I was advised of a limit my thoughts were, without compromising the final design, the less spent the better. I met with the PTO ladies and staff members in charge for a debrief on what they wanted , what they needed, what could be changed, what had to stay and what the skill set was. The PTO were working with some very kind volunteers who were able to offer many great handyman services like wood working, painting, furniture assembly etc. I was very much in mind of this during my planning phase – It was going to save us a lot of money.
The following were the permanent structures to incorporate into the design:
The floor, doors and elevator door are all permanent structures and were to remain unchanged. The tree mural was a tribute recently painted by a staff member and was also a keeper. Storage for large teacher resource books was required along with a seating space for families to wait for appointments, table space for parent coffee mornings, a wider thoroughfare from the elevator door to the office door and staircase, and a book shelf to accommodate the book exchange program being run by one of the parents from the school. Once I had collected as much information as possible, taken lots of photos from all angles and drawn a rough sketch with measurements I took these back to my office and began to brain storm.
From here I was able to draw on a color scheme to work within. There were so many colors existing in the permanent structures that the color scheme was already set and so I decided to work with it. There was room to play around with proportion and adding neutrals but really what was there was it and it had to work! Heres what I came up with.
Once I had the space planning underway I began to firm up my ideas with a mood board and designer notes.
…and the final renders came together as below:
Lots of practicality, color and fun on a tight budget…